- Use profanity and abusive language.
- Belittle, insult or denigrate another poster.
- Post a private email from someone (even a public official) without first obtaining permission.
- Call another poster a liar directly or by implication.
- Impugn another poster's motives or suggest ulterior motives.
- Spread rumor and innuendo.
- Become argumentative or inflame the conversation.
- Threaten legal action, boycott, or physical harm.
- Forward chain e-mails.
- Post more than three times a day.
- Give yourself time to reflect before responding in a heated exchange.
- Consider asking a friend to review a message before you send it.
- Be sure to keep your post at a level of civility that would make it an acceptable letter to the editor in a respectable newspaper (for helpful guidelines see http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/other/letter-to-the-editor-guidelines).
- Remember that you have the alternative of responding to a particular person privately, rather than posting to the entire list. Remember, too, that it is inappropriate to share a private email with the list without the permission of the sender. This applies to messages from the moderators as well.
- For first time offenses, a warning and possible moderation, which means messages will be read by the moderators before they are posted. Moderators may go directly to step two in cases of egregious violations.
- Not being permitted to post for five days, each successive violation leading to a doubling of days on "time out".
- Being suspended from the listerv in cases of severe and/or repetitive violations.
*Readmittance FormTo the Moderators of Leonia Talks:I recognize that I have violated the LeoniaTalks Rules of the Road as interpreted by the LeoniaTalks moderation team.I seek to rejoin LeoniaTalks and as such, I commit to observing these Rules of the Road and the interpretation of such as deemed by the moderators. I understand that should I violate these rules I will be placed on moderation as per the Rules of the Road.
John Kendrick (firstname.lastname@example.org)